If your carpet has been looking dirty, you may realize it’s time for a cleaning. But you may also think: hey, maybe I can clean the carpets myself and save some money. Well, not always a good idea. Sure, the DIY method may be cheaper, but that doesn’t mean it’s better. Doing it yourself poses a risk of damage, and the process is usually a lot more involved than homeowners assume.
Let’s go over some pros and cons of professional carpet cleaning in Metro Detroit vs. DIY carpet cleaning.
Pros: Professional Carpet Cleaning
- Professionals offer a wide range of services based on the needs of your floor as well as your budget. You can choose from light carpet cleaning, tile and grout cleaning, upholstery cleaning, water damage restoration, and even air duct cleaning. Plus, carpet cleaning can encompass many things such as odor removal and dog hair removal. Having all these services under one roof is very convenient.
- Carpet cleaning professionals are trained in which methods that could damage certain rug and flooring materials, which could result in fading, stripping, or unraveling fibers. Instead, they can recommend the best method for your particular floor type.
- Professional carpet cleaning professionals are better at removing stubborn stains – without damaging the surrounding area.
- Professionals know proper rinse water extraction techniques to hasten dry time and reduce the risk of mold and mildew.
- Using carpet cleaning machines on your own is difficult and physically exhausting. Professionals bring their own state-of-the-art, powerful machines that they can use with ease.
Cons: Professional Carpet Cleaning
Professional carpet cleaning is more expensive at first glance; however, you may end up spending about the same if you were to rent a machine and buy all the chemicals. Relying on an outside company means that you have to work around their availability. And if you are uncomfortable with having strangers in your home, hiring a professional carpet cleaning company can seem daunting.
Pros: DIY Carpet Cleaning
The biggest advantage of doing your own carpet cleaning is cost. On the surface, it’s cheaper to tackle carpet cleaning yourself. However, you may not buy high-quality chemicals, you may rent a weak machine, and you may rely on unproven YouTube videos to get the DIY job done. In the end, these mistakes can end up costing you much more than if you had just hired a pro in the first place.
Another check in the DIY column is that you can spot-clean only the areas you desire. For instance, you can focus just on high-traffic areas such as hallways when you do it yourself, rather than having to pay a professional to clean the entire home. Plus, you can do the work when it suits you without having to rely on an outside company to dictate scheduling.
Cons: DIY Carpet Cleaning
First off, carpet cleaning machines are heavy and difficult to move. You will likely be unfamiliar with how they operate and could make a costly mistake. Using the wrong cleaning method or shampoo could result in permanent damage to your floors.
If you don’t take care to properly dry your carpets after cleaning them, mold and mildew can grow underneath the padding. And lastly, if you leave behind detergent on the carpet, it can leave a sticky residue, which attracts even more dirt than before.
Call 1st Class Carpet Cleaning and Restoration Services at (248) 491-3088
It’s best just to hire our professional carpet cleaners in Detroit for the safest and most effective results possible. It all starts with a free quote and consultation, so get in touch at (248) 491-3088.